Thursday, October 4, 2012

Nursery Pinspiration!

So as the little cupcake's due date approaches, I find myself starting to kind of freak out about the nursery not being done. I realize that I'm only 24-25 weeks, so having it all done would be a miracle, but I'm still kind of in panic mode. I feel like I have a billion different projects going on all at once and I can't seem to just finish one! Here's a breakdown of what I've started so far. Warning: This is picture heavy.

Crib bedding

This I decided to make myself (I can't decide if it was a good idea.... or a horrible idea yet). So far I have crib sheets and a crib skirt or ruffle. I had actually made, had done in my hands, a set of bumpers which were supposed to fit all cribs. Well, apparently not my crib. We have the Ikea Sundvik and it's not too keen on having bumpers in it. So I made them, tried them on, laughed hysterically when they didn't fit, and decided it was for the best. So onto what I am making.

Sheets - I found a nifty pattern online, plus how hard is it to make crib sheets anyway? I had black/white patterened sheets and a turquoise sheet left over from our old full size bed, so I used up those and ended up with 6 sheets. I also have some yellow fabric I had planned to use for something else which I'll probably end up using for sheets. Do I need 100 sheets? No. This is overkill. But I'm still making them.

Ruffle - I'm going to call this a ruffle, because I'm OBSESSED with it and all of it's ruffles. 

Image: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LottieDaBaby

If you don't want to make one yourself (wise choice, my friend) you can snag one from the etsy shop LottieDaBaby. If you're like me, and can't leave well enough alone... Then DIY following the blog post at Positively Splendid.

Decor

Since I'm so keen on DIY, why not finish up the rest of the nursery while I'm at it? I'm pretty pick about colors and patterns, so I figured making it myself would save me the heartache of getting something I didn't like in the end.

Mobile - I absolutely love the idea of hanging chinese lanterns and tissue poms over the bed. How stinking CUTE is that?! My husband, however, didn't think it was so cute so we made a compromise. I still think the little fabric poms are cute, I just really want chinese lanterns.
   
Image: http://www.sawdustandembryos.com/
Image http://www.petitelemon.com/

 I know I don't want the walls to be bare. I love the shade of grey we picked out, but it needs something else. So I thought, how about two silhouette art canvases and a monogram of the cupcake's first initial smack dab in the center? Side note: Probably not going to go with the buttons here, but you get my drift. I'm think complimentary scrapbooking paper

Image: http://www.etsy.com/shop/letterperfectdesign

Image: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LayneandCompany
Last but not least, I really like the look of embroidery hoops with nursery fabric in them. At this point you're probably saying to yourself, "Hey Steph. Come down. This is sensory overload." I promise, this will come together.

Seriously? I die. I love the quirkiness, and I have a ton of fabric left over which I think will tie everything together nicely.




So there you have it! My slightly ambitious (OK, really ambitious) nursery plans for the cupcake. I've got my work cut out for me, seeing as I only have the sheets, ruffle, and mobile started. I do have the silhouette portaits complete, I just need to make the monogram. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment